First Community Church, United Church of Christ is a diverse, progressive congregation in Far East Dallas. We are seeking an individual with strong musical leadership skills to accompany our worship service and direct our small choir of talented, musically-literate singers. Our modern worship space has excellent acoustics, and our beautiful Kney organ and Steinway grand piano sound incredible! We are in search of someone who is ready and willing to bring their creativity to worship and to collaborate in planning. Is this you? Read on for the job description and application instructions.
First Community Church is an Open and Affirming, Just Peace, Accessible to All congregation. We are committed to growing a church diverse in race, sexuality, gender identity and expression, and religious or spiritual background. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups.
- Accompaniment: Piano/organ accompaniment for hymns, songs, and musical liturgy during weekly Sunday morning worship and special events and services (such as weddings, funerals, denominational events held at the church, and church social gatherings).
- Music Planning: Work collaboratively with the Pastor and Choir to plan worship services and other events that include music.
- Choir: Rehearse and direct the choir and other instrumental groups for performance in regular and special services of the church as well as special events. Schedule of performances and rehearsals will be determined in consultation with the Choir and Pastor.
- Guest Musicians: Arrange for, rehearse, supervise, and host guest soloists, vocal and/or instrumental, as appropriate.
- Budget: Authorize appropriate expenditures from the music portion of the worship budget according to guidelines set in the yearly church budget. Collaborate with the Pastor and the General Board in determining needs and budget items.
- Instrument Maintenance. Oversee proper maintenance and repairs of all musical instruments and musical equipment of the church. Supervise and grant permission for use of such instruments.
- Personnel: Supervise all employed music personnel, such as soloists, drummer, and other musicians as may be hired. Make arrangements for substitutes when necessary.
- Bell Choir: If the Music Director has experience in directing a bell choir, rehearse and direct the bell choir for performance in worship services and special events.
- Part time (approx. 15 hours per week) including practice time.
- Sunday worship service from 11:00am - 12:30pm.
- Choir rehearsal on Sundays at 10:00am and one evening per week. The Choir currently rehearses on Wednesdays from 7:30pm - 9:00pm, but the day of rehearsal will be determined based on Music Director's and choir members' schedules.
- Two meetings per month with Pastor, schedule to be determined.
- Less time required over the summer months and increased time demands around religious holidays and for special services.
- Salary range $15,000 - $20,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
- 4 weeks paid vacation, 2 Sundays paid sick time.
- Opportunity to use church space and instruments for practice and for teaching private lessons, subject to approval by Pastor and scheduling of church events.
- Demonstrated skill in piano and organ.
- Choral direction experience.
- Ability to work collaboratively with Pastor to plan and lead worship.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as an accompanist and choral director.
- Ability to interact with members, guests, other staff, and our neighbors in a welcoming and responsible manner.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to Chris Runk with "ATTN: Music Director Search" in the subject line.